ENGINEERING A STRATEGY THE GENIUS WAY
International Women in Engineering Day celebrated its 8th year in 2021. Initially a national day in the UK from 2014, it received UNESCO patronage in 2016 and went truly global the following year. INWED is an international awareness campaign which raises the profile of women in engineering and focuses attention on the amazing career opportunities available to women and girls in this exciting industry.
The theme for 2021 was engineering heroes, focusing on what women had contributed during the pandemic, both the obvious such as contributing to the medical management of COVID-19 and the equally important behind the scenes work to keep the lights on, goods flowing and systems functioning as the world underwent dramatic shifts away from business as usual.
For 2021, we were tasked with continuing the growth trajectory, measured primarily by the reach which was recorded at 103 million for 2020. Whilst no set target was outlined by the client beyond exceeding the 103 million, we set ourselves an agency side goal of exceeding 200 million.
A secondary objective was to secure additional sponsorship, to cover the cost of having external marketing support and we were determined to achieve this also.
Our strategy to reach our main audience of women engineers, prospective women engineers and male allies across the globe was to make ours just one voice of many, a servant leader role focusing on:
- Developing meaningful media relationships that granted access to their audiences
- Activating our sponsor relationships to leverage their marketing firepower and influencer connections
- Reaching out to our fellow professional bodies and organisations to engage them as allies in the campaign
- Grass roots outreach to schools, universities and special interest groups across the globe, providing them with resources to support their celebrations and a hub to promote their activities
- Connecting publishers and other organisations with our audience in exchange for competition prizes, providing more reasons for casual interest to become active engagement
Our secondary target market was for sponsorship, and this was far more granular. We knew we needed to reach diversity and inclusion manager at brands either solely devoted to engineering or with a substantial engineering component of their workforce. We understood that spray and pray wouldn’t work here, so we conducted detailed research to form our prospect list at an account level, then used LinkedIn to identify the key contacts.
“The Board and I are delighted with the campaign. Thanks for organising a brilliant INWED.”
ELIZABETH DONNELLY, CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, WES
- >526 million potential reach, up from 103 million in 2020
- >100 global media stories, including The Guardian, The Houston Chronicle, New Civil Engineer, The Engineer, The Evening Standard, E&T Magazine, Utility Week, MSN, The Sun, Engineering.com and The Chemical Engineer
- >289K impressions on tweets from our own account @INWED1919
- >20K individual online conversations using #INWED21
- >44K engagements (like, comment, share) using #INWED21
- >100 third party events listed on the INWED website
- >1700 enquiries and downloads of event resources from the INWED website
- >1600 new followers of INWED social accounts
- >1200 fresh sign ups to INWED news
- >800 registrations to the official WES INWED webinar
TOP TWEETS FROM:
F1, The IET, UK Government Equalities Office, Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team, Nissan Cars, Sky, European Space Agency and Aston Martin Cognizant F1 Team, Females In Racing, Royal Air Force, Sir Patrick Vallance, Stemettes, UK Space Agency, Royal Navy and Australian Chief of Navy.
TOP TWEETS LANGUAGES:
English, Arabic, Japanese, Spanish and Portuguese.
SPONSOR CAMPAIGN RESULTS:
This led to an additional 3 firms being brought on board in addition to what had been achieved in 2020. As we were only commissioned to start work in April, many couldn’t support us this year but we are on track to post year on year growth for 2022 by September of this year, before our official campaign even begins.
Want to SEE WHAT
Genius CAN DO FOR YOU?
Complete this form and we will send you our digital brochure